- Your address book with data of your friends will NOT be copied on foreign servers
- Your address book with data of your friends and your photos will NOT be sold to someone else
- Your address book with data of your friends and your photos will NOT be transferred to Facebook
- Encryption with the most modern technology (not only SSL etc.). Complete end-to-end encryption.
- You can use Threema even without your addressbook or any other personal data. Identification will be then over anonymously randomly generated Threema-IDs.
- Threema isn’t tied to a phone number. You can use it even without a SIM card.
- You can tie Threema with your phone number and/or Email address, in case you want to, as an option. Read more here.
- Contact lists and groupchats are always only on your phone, not on a Threema server
- Messages and data will be only forwarded. They will be not saved or copied on a server.
- Threema is located in Switzerland. Very high privacy rules.
- Location of servers etc. also in Switzerland.
On which platform can I use Threema?
- Smartphones: Android, Apple, Windows, Blackberry, Amazon Fire OS
- Tablets: Android, Apple, Kindle
- Smartwatches: AppleWatch
- Computer: All (via Threema Web – click here for more information about Threema Web)
What does Threema cost?
Does Threema works without a Simcard?
Yes! Threema is not tied to a mobile phone number like other messengers. You can use it with i.e. a tablet and a normal wifi internet connection. This is an advantage, if you want to give your kids a messenger, but no SIMcard.
Is Threema not also synchroniszing the addressbook?
Quote Threema: If you decide to enable the synchronization, email addresses and phone numbers from your address book will only be transmitted to the server in one-way encrypted (“hashed”) form and are additionally protected using TLS encryption. The servers only keep these hashes in volatile memory for a short time to determine the list of matching IDs, and then delete the hashes immediately. At no point are the hashes or the results of the synchronization written to disk.
Everbody claims, that he is secure and encrypted…
Yes, but not everybody can proove it 😉
Quote Threema: In August 2015, Threema was subjected to an external security audit. The result confirms that Threema’s concepts fully meet the requirements for secure and trustworthy instant messaging. Furthermore it attests that the implementation of all components relevant for security and privacy was performed properly as specified.
Am I allowed to use Threema according the GDPR after 25.5.2018?
Yes! Threema is in line with all requiremenst of the new GDPR in contrast to i.e. WhatsApp.
What is the minimum age for using Threema?
According to the new GDPR (as of 25.5.2018) there are 2 answers to this, dependig on how you use Threema.
As long as you use Threema anonymiously and do not synchronise your addressbook, kids are allowed to use Threema, even if they are younger than 16 years old without the approval of their parents.
If you want to synchromize your addressbook with Threema, you need to be at least 16 years old according the GDPR or you need the approval of your parents.
Attention: Even if you synchronize your addressbook in Threema, it is all still in line with the law of the GDPR, because the data of your friends are not copied and/or sold by Threema or someone else. This is a major difference to WhatsApp and many other messengers!
Regarding the addressbook/ forward private data of my friends: Where is the difference to WhatsApp?
Threema gets the addressbook encrypted. It can not read or access the data. Threema does not save the data on its servers. After the successfull synchronisation (within milliseconds), it deletes them immediately. Threema will at no point give these data to a third party or keeps them on their own server. No data willbe sold. This is why Threema is fullfilling 100% the requirements of the new GDPR.
WhatsApp forces you to copy your addressbook to their servers. Otherwisse you can not use WhatsApp. This is mandatory. If you do so, you agree according to their terms of rules, that they can do basicalyl everything with the data. No matter whether it is your data or data o your friends in your addressbook.
Since nobody has these written approvals (do you?), it is against the GDPR. In Germany this was already the case in some lawsuits with big fines for WhatsApp users.
I changed my mobile number
With Threema this does not matter. As long as you use teh same smartphone, nothing changes. No action needed. The Threema Licence is for a device, not for a phone number. If you change your device, simply make a backup of your Theema ID beforehand and import it after switching the smartphone into the new phone. Read here on how to do this.
I know some of my friends have threema, but I do not find them in my threema contacts
Did you synchronize your contacts already? Move with your finger from top to buttom. More information here.
Your friends need to tie their Threema ID with either their mobilde phone number or with thier Email address, that you have stored. Otherwise they are anomyous (for you invisible) and they need to give you then their Threema ID directly.
Why Threema instead of WhatsApp?
Threema offers everything that WhatsApp does offer. You will not miss anything. But you you do not sell the data of your friends with Threema.
I do not talk about encryption. I do talk about the business model of WhatsApp. They make money with selling the data to others.
Threema does not save data on servers. It is all yours.
All data stay on your local phone/device.
But a lot more people have WhatsApp…?
That is the most popular counterargument. 🙂
Who is everybody? With whom do you really communicate over WhatsApp? With WhatsApp users in China or India?
According to this, you should even not use WhatsApp. Because a lot more people have Email than WhatsApp 🙂
Seriously, how many friends do you have? With whom do you communicate? With WhatsApp users on the northpole? or in Nowosibirsk?
Stay realistic. Everyone has a limited circle of friends with whom you do communicate. Let’s assume you have 50 friends (which is aready a very high number). This looks already a lot smaller than „millions of WhatsApp users“, right?
Now you realize, that is actually up to you to change something, if you really want it. Yes, you can! No lame excuses anymore 😉
What are the disadvantages of Threema?
- You need to sync your addressbook yourself. With the finger from top to buttom. See here
- If you plan to get a new phone, you need to make Threema backup beforehand to keep your lifetime licence and all old chats. See here.
- Currently there are less Threema users than WhatsApp users. In real life this is irrelevant. See argumentation above.
Why Threema and not other alternatives?
There are may alternatives to WhatsApp. Not only Threema. See here.
Except for Signal, there is simply no other messenger with data and privacy protection like Threema.
How to install Threema and how to set it up ?
Video in German: